Donating blood benefits more than just those who receive it. Unfortunately, fewer than 5% of people who are eligible to donate actually do. So what is stopping the rest? Not enough time? Fear of needles? Donating blood only takes about an hour of your time and is one of the safest ways to give back to your community. Not convinced? Here are five benefits of donating blood. Read carefully—you may be surprised!
- Everyday hero. Every three seconds, someone in the United States needs blood, and there is no substitute. Blood donors are true heroes, because one unit of blood can impact the lives of up to three people. By separating your blood into several distinct components, medical professionals can use your donation for many types of medical procedures, conditions or treatments, including organ transplants, automobile accidents, burn victims, heart surgery, leukemia and more.
- Psychological gains. One of the most obvious benefits of donating is that feeling you get afterward. Acts of altruism make you feel good, especially knowing that one hour of your time can make such a difference.
- Free health screening. Every time you give blood, your blood pressure, pulse, temperature and iron level are checked.
- Boosts the production of red blood cells. Donation of blood reduces the number of red blood cells in the blood. Bone marrow immediately replenishes the lost cells. As a result, the blood of a donor is refreshed every time they donate because of the increased production of new blood cells.
- Reduced risk of heart disease. Research shows that giving blood may prevent heart disease. While iron is an important element and necessary for human life, too much iron may actually damage the heart and circulatory system. Reducing blood iron through regular blood donation is a healthy way to potentially lower your risk of heart disease.
Ready to donate? Fort HealthCare is partnering with the Blood Center of Wisconsin to host a blood drive on Friday, June 21 from 11:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. You can make an appointment online or call 920-568-5261. Just remember, an hour of your time can make a huge impact!